I recently came across a situation where I needed to increase the work item limit in the Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2013 Web Access sprint backlog. If you go over the limit, you will get a warning message when you access the sprint backlog. The task board will not function correctly, and the default limit is 500 work items.
In order to change the work item limit in the TFS 2013 Sprint Backlog, you need to do the following:
1. Open an elevated command prompt and navigate to the Visual Studio 2013 install.
On my machine its at C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0Common7IDE
2. In there you will find the witadmin executable, and we need this to run. In the command prompt, run this command:
witadmin exportprocessconfig /collection:CollectionURL /p:ProjectName /f:”DirectoryPath/ProcessConfiguration.xml”
3. Open the file you just downloaded and find the following:
<TaskBacklog category=”Microsoft.TaskCategory” pluralName=”Tasks”
4. Add the following values singularName=”Task” workItemCountLimit=”800″ so the line looks like this:
<TaskBacklog category=”Microsoft.TaskCategory” pluralName=”Tasks” singularName=”Task” workItemCountLimit=”300″ >
5. Use any value that you need to increase the limit to. In this example its 300. 6. Now you just need to import it back to TFS.
witadmin importprocessconfig /collection:CollectionURL /p:ProjectName /f:”DirectoryPath/ProcessConfiguration.xml”
Hope this helps!
Need Help with Your TFS?
If you need help with your Team Foundation Server (TFS) but not sure where to start, Imaginet is here to help. Our Imaginet certified TFS and ALM experts have been working with the Microsoft TFS and ALM tools since they originated in 2005 and can help you get started with any of your TFS or ALM initiatives. To find out more, schedule your free consultation call with Imaginet today.
Imaginet is your trusted technology partner who turns your business innovation ideas into reality. 20+ years | 1200+ satisfied customers | 2500+ successful engagements. Primary services include Web Application Development, Mobile App Development, and SharePoint consulting services, with additional specialties in Power BI & Business Intelligence, Office 365, Azure, Visual Studio, TFS, & VSTS, Skype for Business, and more. Located in the United States (Dallas, TX) and Canada (Winnipeg, MB) with services offered worldwide. Contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-989-6022.