Part 4: Which Cross-Platform Mobile App Framework Is Right For You?
In this final installment (Part 4) of the article series on Cross-Platform Mobile App Frameworks, we will quickly review the pros and cons of both Xamarin and NativeScript, plus our guidelines to use when choosing the right framework for you and your team.
Summary of the Pros and Cons of Xamarin from Part 2:
Advantages of Xamarin:
- Uses C#, .NET framework, and Visual Studio IDE
- C# is a powerful type-safe, object-oriented language
- Visual Studio IDE offers a rich development experience with tools such as intellisense, debugging, and compile-time checker
- Xamarin is included with Visual Studio
- Uses native components and has access to native device API
- Uses XAML, an XML based markup language
- Uses NuGet for plugin support
- Microsoft support
- MVVM pattern support
- Build platform specific native apps using Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS
Disadvantages of Xamarin:
- Lack of opensource plugins available
- Must have Visual Studio license
- Xamarin apps are larger than native apps
Summary of the Pros and Cons of NativeScript from Part 3:
Advantages of NativeScript:
- Access to Angular data binding, dependency injection, reusable components
- TypeScript is a strongly typed, object-oriented language
- Uses NativeScript Command Line Interface(CLI)
- Uses Visual Studio Code
- Lightweight but with a lot of similarities as Visual Studios
- Use native components and has access to native device API
- Uses XML based markup language similar HTML
- CSS style styling
- Uses Node Package Manager for plugin Support
- Large assortment of opensource plugins
- Live syncing of code changes during development
Disadvantages of NativeScript:
- NativeScript apps are larger than native apps
- Some buggy opensource plugins
So Which Framework Should You Choose?
And as always, if you ever need any help with your mobile app development leveraging either of these frameworks, just know that Imaginet is always here to help. Our mobile app development team has worked with many organizations around the globe, from small startups to large Fortune 100 companies, to create and launch innovative mobile apps that transform their business and delight end users on all mobile devices. Contact Imaginet today to receive your free consultation call.
Imaginet is your trusted technology partner who turns your business innovation ideas into reality. 20+ years | 1200+ satisfied customers | 2500+ successful engagements. Specialties include Web Application Development, Mobile App Development, SharePoint services, and more. Located in Dallas (Irving), Winnipeg, Phoenix, St. Louis, and Calgary with services offered worldwide. Contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-989-6022.